Thursday, September 24, 2009

You're My Saturday

It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you all You're My Saturday, an enormous pop-punk group out of London, U.K. In fact, the reason it gives me such pleasure is because these guys are very close personal friends of Ames, a very, very good friend of mine, and from what I hear right now, they're having talks about a record deal.
Made up of Jason Darling (vocals), Ash Hanif (lead guitar and vocals), George Cochrane (guitar and vocals), Jack O'Mahoney (bass), and Sam Aldred (drums), YMS mixes Boys Like Girls-like lyrics with Mayday Parade-eqsue melodies to create a selection of songs that will have you humming all day long. The anthemic, stick-in-your-head choruses don't hurt either.
The first song I listen to from their demo CD is "Cheaters and Liars," a great mix of energetic drumming and a killer guitar riff that just seems to fit and click perfectly with the rhythm guitar and bass, as the vocals carry the song from start to finish. My personal favorite, however, is the next track, which I actually got a sneak-peak of over the summer when Ames came to visit me. "You're At Your Best When You're Undressed" begins with a nice guitar progression into an energetic palm-mute sequence, showcasing Hanif's and Cochrane's guitar skills, as Aldred goes to town on the crash and high-hats, while O'Mahoney keeps rhythm with the bass, and Darling brings the song from start to finish. Yet this may also be the perfect showcasing of Hanif's and Chochrane's vocal abilities too, as the harmonies work so well it sounds like Darling has been double-tracked when in reality it's all three working to make the song come to life. The catchy guitar-riff interlude doesn't hurt any either.
Then it's on to "The Chase," a head-bopping, guitar-driven number that will keep you on your feet from start to finish. Frankly, I thought songs that started with guitar this catchy, and took so little time to get going were done for, put in their graves by slow, forever songs like Coldplay's "Yellow," and The Fray's "How to Save a Life." Thankfully, my faith in straight-laced pop-punk, alternative rock 'n' roll has been restored. I think the only thing better about this song than the fast start and the sing-along lyrics is the sick guitar solo Hanif so enthusiastically presents to us. And just as quickly as it started, it's done. That's the mark of a great rock song; hit hard, hit fast, then disappear, and leave them wanting more. And I certainly want more after that. I could go on and on about every one of their songs I listened to, including what I'm being treated to right now, with "Leaning on Pages." But that would ruin it, and frankly wouldn't do this group the justice it deserves. So get up off your ass and check these guys out. If you've been waiting for pop-punk's answer to groups like Coldplay and The Fray, here they are, fast, loud, and with no intention of stopping anytime soon.

Sounds Like: Mayday Parade, Boys Like Girls, You Me At Six, Taking Back Sunday, All Time Low

Key Tracks from Demo CD: "You're At Your Best When You're Undressed," "The Chase," "Cheaters and Liars," "Leaning on Pages," "Everything Is"

Check out You're My Saturday more at: http://www.myspace.com/youremysaturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts