Saturday, September 19, 2009

In the GoodNight City

Not often enough do I step out of my preferred music genre to listen to stuff I usually don't. Today, however, is one of those rare days where I decided I wanted to listen to something a little more power-pop than usual, and I found this incredible group. GoodNight City is a whirlwind of fury and melody out of Nashville, Tennessee, and they know how to rock like there's no tomorrow. I haven't been this impressed with a power-pop-punk band in a long time. With Dax (vocals), Blair (guitar), AJ (bass), and Mikey (drums), GNC is a fresh sound in a sometimes way over-produced genre.
From the first chords of "Thieves, Crooks & Politicians," I'm hooked by Blair's unique finger-work on the guitar, and Dax's smooth, yet strong vocals, backed up by AJ's powerful bass chords, and Mikey's perfect time-keeping drumming. Then it spills over into "By the Time I Hit the Border" and "Hollywood," two powerful, sing-along, anthemic ballads with melodic verses and blasting choruses. GoodNight City finishes up strong with "Picture Perfect," a please-listen-to-me ballad with the strong, loud choruses of We The Kings and Mayday Parade. If you live in Nashville, you've probably heard of these guys (because there's no way I wouldn't have if I did live there), and if you don't, you will soon. I highly suggest checking out this group's EP Better with the Lights Down; it's punky, it's catchy, and it's just plain good.

Sounds Like: Mayday Parade, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Tickle Me Pink, We The Kings

Key Tracks from Better with the Lights Down: "Thieves, Crooks & Politicians," "By the Time I Hit the Border," "Hollywood," "Picture Perfect"

Check out GoodNight City more at: http://www.unsigned.com/goodnightcity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts