Friday, September 18, 2009

Fire At Will

Normally, I'm not much one for the screamo side of hardcore. Not that it's bad or anything, I just personally tend to find it not my taste. Tonight, however, I found a group that I HAD to listen to. I literally couldn't bring myself to hit the "Back" button because I was so intrigued by their sound. To me personally, not the typical hardcore or screamo. From the first chords of "Rapture," I was just hooked by the incredible guitar riffs and the juxtaposition of the smooth lead vocals next to the animalistic screams in the background. Made up of Nick Puzzo (lead vocals), Andru Murphy (guitar), Vince Puzzo (lead guitar, vocals, and screams), Mike Messmer (bass, vocals, and screams), and Dwayne Barnet (drums), FAW is all over the place genre-wise, but in a day when everything is labeled and commercialized, that's something I like.
The group continues in the hardcore vein with "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Flee the Scene." Two hardcore numbers that harken back to AFI and Lostprophets, "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Flee the Scene" sound almost like they belong on Decemberunderground or Thefakesoundofprogress. 
However, the group shows their funny side with "The Lesbian Song," a funny little anecdote that seems worthy of sharing a playlist with Bowling for Soup's "The Bitch Song" and Blink-182's "Mutt." 
FAW finish strong with "She Lied," a harder song that seems like it would be comfortable among something Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or Alexisonfire. Yet wherever these songs find themselves, their still awesome, and like Pantera's "Walk" did the first time I heard it, they just make me want to hit someone. Pure anger and brute force, that's real power, and that's the power of these songs.

Sounds Like: AFI, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Lostprophets, Alexisonfire

Key Tracks from Fire At Will: "Rapture," "Lost, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," "Flee the Scene," "She Lied"

Check out Fire At Will more at: http://www.unsigned.com/faw   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts