Wednesday, September 16, 2009

StartUp 45

It's been a slow day. I got up late, had work to do, and didn't think I was going to do anything exciting today. WRONG! When I came across these guys, I was floored by their raw, pop-punk approach to modern music and I had to literally stop trying to do the work I was trying to do because I couldn't concentrate for my life. This new four-piece out of Eagle River, Wisconsin totally made my day. Maybe it was the sharp opening riff of "Way Too Long," or maybe it was the head-bopping bass line of "Virus." Whatever it was, I don't know and I don't care. These guys have what it takes to be the same kind of punk sensation as was Blink-182 or Sum 41. Indeed it then seems necessary that their name as well contains a number.
Made up of Dexter Kube (guitar and vocals), Dustin Kube (bass and vocals), Rene Guillen (drums), and newly added member Jacob Klessig (lead guitar), Start Up 45 mixes new melodies and lyrics with old-school early Blink-182-style grit and attitude. "I Heard a Rumor" reminded me fondly of the first time I heard a Blink song, and "Mr. Forgetful" reminded me what it was to be angry and pissed off and listen to something and just get it. And if you ask me, those are definitely the two things a song should do: replay fond memories of the first times you heard similar groups and get the message of teenage angst and life across. And in these two respects StartUp 45 certainly succeeds. Even the title of their EP, Public Indecency has a Blink-182 quality to it. The verdict's in: if you like anything Blink-182, Sum 41, early Green Day, or Zebrahead, you'll love these guys. They're going to be huge. Just wait. And watch.

Sounds Like: Blink-182, Sum 41, Zebrahead, Lit

Key Tracks from Public Indecency: "Way Too Long," "Virus," "Mr. Forgetful," "I Heard a Rumor"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts