Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Looking Through Diamond Eyes

This one's for all you metalheads out there who've been salivating for a new truly metal band to latch on to. Now I love the greats as much as anyone; Motley Crue, Metallica, AC/DC, Motorhead, they all rock. But I also want my own metal band, one from my generation that can compare to Quiet Riot or Maiden. Now I'm not saying these guys are Maiden. Not yet. But they do have that spark that just resonates with you.
Out of Perth, Australia, I give you Diamond Eye, a Motorhead drenched, AC/DC-influenced, metal band that drips Motley sleaze, with walls of guitars that would make Metallica proud. Comprising Will Kelly (lead vocals and guitar), Greg Fawcett (lead guitar and vocals), Chase Cameron (bass and vocals), and Danny Torre (drums), D-Eye can definitely hold their own in the metal stadium. I listen to every song off their demo CD, and I gotta be frank, they all fucking rock! There really is no other way to put it. Starting with the song "Fuck," I am just bombarded by shrill guitars, and killer bass and vocals that makes me feel like I'm sweating blood. "Fuck," though subtly named, starts with a fucking killer (ironic, no?) guitar riff that seems ripped right from the Motorhead playbook. It just drills at your ears until you're red in the head, and your ears are happily bleeding for the metal cause. The bass is solid, the drumbeat is fast-paced, and the vocals are just so different. Seriously, I don't know if I love them or hate them, and that's what I love about them. It's like Bon Scott and Gene Simmons got together and had one messed-up vocal baby. I think my favorite part of this song though is the slick, Scorpions-like solo at the end. Fawcett does a sick job on this, as Kelly and Cameron keep the rhythm. In fact it almost reminds me of The Eagles' "Hotel California," the way to solo trails all the way to the end. And then it just stops, leaving you barely breathing for more. Brilliant.
Next is "Holding On," clearly the power-ballad among the tracks. Most power-ballads are a cheesy mess of corporate crap, (for example Warrant's "Heaven") but this one just works. It's got the catchy, slow, melodic guitar riff, the soul-bareing vocals, the slow tempo drumbeat, and between you and me, a fucking sick pick slide around 3:00. This one just works. I hope it's not left in the "Forgotten Ballads" pile next to Babylon A.D.'s "So Savage the Heart," or W.A.S.P.'s "Forever Free." That would be such a waste of a great song.
"Machine" is a faster-paced song, seeming to fit more in the Metallica or Megadeth vain, though not as thrash as the aforementioned. The thick, crisp guitar riff, however, is a special point in the song, and Kelly's Axl Rose-like wail, coupled with Fawcett's guitar fretting around 3:00 make this a four-star (at least) track on the demo.    
Lastly there is "Waiting for Me," a sick track that just screams AC/DC with its opening riff and drumming style. I swear, I ready myself to hear Brian Johnson on here, and I'm almost a little surprised when I don't hear his voice. But that's ok, because Kelly keeps the Johnson standard up, while Torre goes to town on the drumkit in a Keith Moon style. Cameron's bass screams Cliff Burton, and Fawcett's fretwork is eerily reminiscent of Rudolph Shenker's. "Waiting for Me" is a solid track on a demo of solid tracks, and brings the CD to a great close. If you like anything hard-rock, or heavy metal, anything AC/DC, Motorhead, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Metallica, Megadeth, or KISS, I highly suggest looking at these guys. Only a matter of time before they're signed and massively popular, so don't you want to be the one to tell your friends, "I told you so?" 

Sounds Like: AC/DC, Motorhead, KISS, Metallica

Key Tracks from Demo CD: "Waiting for Me," "Fuck," "Holding On," "Machine"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts