Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Such Is Life in the Night

Though it's been about a month since this video was released, I've been watching it a bit recently and for one reason or another it resonates with me. Into the Night's music video for their single "Such Is Life" has something about it that I can't quite put my finger on, but whatever it is, I love it. The video has the hard-edged guitar riffs that drew me to ITN in the first place, and the bass lines are head-pounding while the drums are a crisp breakaway matched interestingly with the images that flash up on the screen. The video itself is odd: just a masked man running through through a forest and city with no apparent destination in mind. But maybe that's a metaphor for the aimlessness of life; it wouldn't surprise me to find out it is, and when paired with the ominous music and opaque message, the new video for "Such Is Life"is eerily powerful on a number of levels. Filmed in Melbourne just after Cyclone Yasi hit Australia, Into the Night have let their demons speak with this new window into their music and lyrics. Truly an inquisitive video on its surface, when coupled with the dynamic chords and rhythms of "Such Is Life," it is clear that Into the Night are masters of visual art as well as sonic. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts