Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm Voted Most Random

I've found it a bit hard to motivate myself to write new stuff for you guys lately not because it's lost it's zest or excitement, but because I'm doing a lot of brain-storming and trying to think of new ways to really take New Rock News 43 to the next level. I know that I've talked about a few here, but I have so many new ideas bouncing around in my head it'll take a while to figure out a way to make them a reality. So, for the next few months probably, my posts might be a bit less consistent than they would otherwise be. I do hope you all will bear with me and trudge through it, because although I see a lot of work up ahead, I can also see the light at the end of the tunnel, and after a couple more difficult months, I think that the new, revamped NRN43 will really be something to be reckoned with. So as I start getting my act together again, the posts will start to more consistent, and I know that I'll be proud of that fact as much as you guys will like it haha.
Anyway, on to what's really important here today. Demonstrating just the mood I'm in today, I take great pleasure in presenting Voted Most Random, a unique pop-punk quintet from Hamden, Connecticut, U.S.A. I actually ran across VMR a few months ago and have since been refining just how I wanted to present them to you guys. Like I said before, many of today's "pop-punk" bands are nothing more than Fall Out Boy or Blink-182 rip-offs and to find a group that really exudes individual artistic direction and creativity is like finding a diamond in the rough. Fortunately for you guys though, I seem to have a talent for such a task haha. When I discovered VMR, I immediately knew that I wasn't the only one, because after winning the grand prize for the East Coast Indie Battle of the Bands, these guys have landed a spot on Warped Tour playing a few dates up in and around their native Connecticut. Having opened for such international acts as We the Kings, Voted Most Random's sound is a mix between old-school pop-punk and modern melodic alternative.
Boasting the talents of Ian Reibeisen (lead vocals), Scott Gunter (lead guitar), Bennett Pisaniello (rhythm guitar), Joe Mauti (bass), and Sal Salemme (drums), VMR's leaves you wanting more, pure and simple. With songs and melodies that scream house party, I am immediately impressed with the potential I see in these guys.
Right from the start of the first track, "Party Naked," I am delivered a catchy guitar hook and rhythm by Gunter and Pisaniello, respectively, and a bass line that stands apart from the rhythm section in a way that shows that Mauti is not just a run-of-the-mill bassist. Salemme's drumming is chaotic as all hell during the chorus and verses, but stops immediately at all the right places to keep me on my feet. Reibeisen's vocals are a high-pitched wail that borders Tom DeLonge of Blink-182 and Patrick Stump of FOB. At just about 2:45, "Party Naked" is a simply-crafted, pure and simple pop-punk song. Voted Most Random try not at all to sound like anyone but themselves: their sound is both chaotic and controlled, and it's this juxtaposition of melody and passion that make such a simple song so much fun to listen to.
"A Beautiful You" is, from the start, a fantastic track that rides easily on Gunter's expert fretwork. I love the way this song plays with the guitar sounds, as Gunter floats back and forth between chords and the lead riff as Pisaniello's rhythmic chords give you something to bang your head to in the best and most old-school way. Reibeisen's vocals are choppy and garage-rockish, and lend to this track the feeling of being in front of a backyard stage as VMR tear up a house party in the '09s. It almost feels like this one could have been used in 10 Things I Hate About You or American Pie. Meanwhile, Mauti's bass lines and Salemme's drum beats are ferocious and exciting, and lead this one to the same exit as the last: a fun, energetic performance that displays what punk-rock is all about. The great guitar solo and ensuing outro by Gunter and Pisaniello don't hurt either.
From the outset of "Underweight & Overdressed (Hot Mess)," I know that I've found an exceptional song. Gunter and Pisaniello start with a hookish riff that will be in my head all day, and Salemme's drum roll sets a more enigmatic, albeit introspective tone that immediately resonates with me. Then the riff ends, and Salemme's drums pick up quickly, followed closely by Gunter, Pisaniello and Mauti. Mauti in particular, lets loose bass lines that fit in perfect puzzle fashion with the teen spirited punk that pours from Gunter's and Pisaniello's guitars. Reibeisen's vocals are smooth and serrated. If that doesn't make any sense to you, then you have even more of a reason to go check these guys out. If it does make sense, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Made stronger by a rhythm that keeps moving and a catchy riff that won't quit, "Underweight & Overdressed (Hot Mess)" is the perfect closer for any show, and as far as I'm concerned, with these three songs, Voted Most Random could easily have a dynamite EP. I've seen bands signed for way less.
In true pop-punk fashion, VMR deliver a performance that says, "this is who we are and we don't give a fuck what you think." This, I think, is their most attractive quality, after their music of course: proud of who they are, it bleeds though their music, and shows me just how much they clearly love doing what they do. That makes the music all that more enjoyable. If you're looking for a summer pick-up, here they are: Voted Most Random. Not soon to be forgotten, Voted Most Random are surely here to stay for a while, so get used to it

Sounds Like: Blink-182, We the Kings, Zebrahead, Lit

Key Tracks: "Party Naked," "A Beautiful You," "Underweight & Overdressed (Hot Mess)"

Check out Voted Most random more at: http://www.myspace.com/votedmostrandom and http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/VotedMostRandom?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts